Thursday, August 30, 2012

Done!

I finally finished my rewrite of An Unbalanced Line.  But I'm not done. I made some notes on the manuscript along the way, which I want to fix, then I print it out and read it aloud. Reading aloud helps me get the voice and dialogue right and it also is useful for finding little mistakes, typos, punctuation problems.

Then I do revisions.

The step after that, I get some beta readers. I usually pick four or five people. A couple readers, a couple writers, and I have one friend who is a writer and an excellent editor. 

After that, I do another set of revisions, then maybe another. I do as many as it takes to get it to a place that I feel is good enough to send to agents.

How do you get feedback on your work? Who do you count on to give an unbiased opinion? Do you read aloud?

I'm interested in other writer's process.

4 comments:

  1. I get feedback from my critique group. Also, if the book deals with a specialized topic, I asked an expert in that topic to read it as well. I don't read aloud, but I probably should. Congrats on finishing your rewrite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading out loud. I really do think it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting through the bulk of the work! I am trying your read aloud technique, and I am finding it pretty useful. I also found the character sheets, so I am working my way through getting those filled out for existing characters and using them for new ones. Hopefully I will be at a point to move beyond the family critiquing point soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews