Friday, January 4, 2013

F³A: ABNA

You've probably heard me talk about this before, but it's that time of year, the ABNA contest is coming up. I didn't enter last year, but am going to this year.

To enter I have to come up with an awesome pitch. I've not written one for Dissection yet, not really. I mean, I've written a query letter, but being that I could get ousted from the contest if my pitch isn't good enough, well, that really sucks.

It's a crap shoot really. My book is dark, Syd's voice is brash, and there's an 'F' bomb in the first paragraph. If I get the wrong judges, I'm, for lack of a better word, fucked.

The last time I entered, I got thrashed by one of the judges. He didn't understand the voice at all, and he thought I was a teen, which I took as a compliment that my voice was spot on. The review wasn't just bad. I can handle a bad review, but it was cruel. I didn't really care anyway, well, maybe a little, but only because the ignorance ousted me from the contest.

So I'm diving back in. Who's entering? What kind of book are you entering?

Okay Friday Scribbles:

Next Pandora Song: A Message by Coldplay

Book of the Week: Hooked by Liz Fichera. A 2013 Young Adult release. Awesome book. Make sure you buy it.

Netflix of the Week: Breaking Bad Season 4. Just finished. Now I have to wait for the final season. >:(

Quote of the Week: "Success is not built on success. It's built on failure. It's built on frustration. Sometimes its built on catastrophe."
Sumner Redstone

Happy Friday Ya'll!!

4 comments:

  1. Two years ago when I made it through, my reviews both said I had a good YA that teens would like and parents would approve of. I didn't make it through either. So, who knows??!!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a crap shoot. I want the reviewers that like edgy dark YA. Probably not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to enter The Guitarist, as my agent (much to both our disappointment) has been unable to find a home for it after a year of subs. If it doesn't go anywhere in ABNA-as are the odds-I will be releasing it from Local Hero Press later this year.

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews