Thursday, January 31, 2013

Feeling sorry for myself

I don't really want to go into detail, but today I find myself feeling sorry for myself to the point of anxiety.

Yes, it has to do with the publishing biz.

This business is aggravating and frustrating. Sometimes I'm not sure I'm cut out for it. I mean, I'm strong. I've grown a thick skin, bad reviews don't bother me. There are certain aspects though that make me feel very alone in this business. Alone, neglected abandoned.

I'm know, I'm whining. If you're new to the biz, just got a book deal, be prepared. Yes, it's exciting and a giant accomplishment, but keep in mind, there are thousands of books being published every year. You are a very small fish in a sea of sharks. Go in ready to battle for yourself, your rights, your future.

Okay, I'm done bitching. Sorry for the rant, but sometimes it just needs to be done.

3 comments:

  1. the good news is, most the hard, frustrating days are followed by a day where a reader tells you he/she loved your book and thanks you for writing it and then you are restored to plow forward to keep doing what you do. Hang in there, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like we've signed up for the rollercoaster ride of a lifetime... and I'm nowhere near the publication stage... sometimes I think, what have I done???
    But I say - bring the sharks... you've got to adopt a piranha mentality... you know the small lethal fish that can hold its own...? Yep, that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gae, you know I'll hang on, but some days are so much harder than others.

    And that's a positive attitude to have Michelle. I like the idea of having a piranha mentality. I think I'll try that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews