Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Reported! Sensitivity and Social Media

I posted an image yesterday on Facebook that was reported as "graphic violence".  Here is the image:

Now, while I admit it's not in the best taste, and I even thought twice before posting it, it's a guy loading a gun, it doesn't show him gunning people down in the streets, people bleeding, whatever. I understand how someone could be offended by this, exactly why I thought twice about posting it, and I deleted it.

Let me say this: I am not an NRA card carrying member. I am a supporter of stiffer gun control laws. I don't own, nor do I ever have plans to own a firearm. I have in my circle of friends, acquaintances, family known of people who have:
  • accidentally shot themselves with a firearm causing their deaths
  • committed suicide by firearm
  • been shot
My daughter was in a lockdown at school because there was a kid with a gun walking around. That was one of the scariest days of my life.

I'm not a proponent, okay. That's my point. I don't know that guy in the picture. He's just some guy in a Monday Meme to me. He could be an actor, a cop, a hunter, some pyscho...I don't know. If there is something particular about him, the colors of this meme, or the design that has anything to do with anything violent (aside from the gun of course) I don't know about it.

I was looking at other "Monday-shit just got real" memes to compare this one to others.  Here's what I found...

 Here is a woman with a gun. I'm not sure I would have been reported for this because...

  1. She's a woman
  2. The background of the picture isn't as severe.

But she still has a gun and she still looks pissed.




Then you have Christine Baranski. I don't know what this is from, but I think strictly because it's an actress with a gun, probably makes it more palatable.








Sesame Street. Cookie Monster has an assault rifle. Is the implication that he's going to gun Mitt Romney down enough of a reason for this to get reported? I don't know. I saw this all over Facebook and laughed my ass off.










Kitty in a pot. Surely this would be offensive to animal lovers and PETA?!?














Yoda has a weapon. He has a light sabre. That shit can cut you in half. I bet no one reports Yoda.











Let's not forget John Goodman in the Big Lebowski.
And this.  Really, I have no words.

The reason I used the meme I did is because it specifically mentioned "Monday". That's all. If I had to do it all again, I probably wouldn't post it. Gun violence isn't funny. It's only funny in the movies and TV, right? And when zombies are coming after you.

My point is, to me, it was just a Monday meme. It wasn't meant to offend anyone. Like I said, I'm going to be one of the first to the polls when they come out with stiffer gun control laws. And this blog isn't a commentary on gun control. It's strictly a commentary on being reported for "graphic violence" when you post a picture of a guy with a gun on Facebook.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews