Friday, March 7, 2014

Book Review: Alliegiant **SPOILER ALERT**

Did I mention **SPOILER ALERT** Because in this review there is a **SPOILER ALERT**

 Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Allegiant by Veronica Roth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What can I say about Allegiant? My least favorite in the trilogy. It started out clunky. Not because of the writing. I think Veronica Roth is a very talented writer. I did not understand the sudden POV shift change from just Tris to Tris & Tobias and at first it was confusing. I was so used to it being only Tris that I would start reading a Tobias chapter thinking it was Tris and be like, O.o until I figured it out. I did get used to it though eventually.

The storyline was kind of a letdown. I wanted the Divergent to be something more than they were I guess. Not just normal people. But, I know this is dystopian and in these worlds things are more bad than good and that’s just the way it is otherwise it's utopian. Still. If this were a standalone book and not related to the Divergent series at all, I probably would have liked this storyline better if that makes sense.

Let’s talk about the characters. I liked most of the new characters, save Nita. I thought she was an idiot. I really liked Matthew. Great addition. The author should have let him hook up with someone. Tobias/Four, I’m sorry, I fell in love with him in the first two books, but he was a little whiny in this one. There is a fine line between broody and whiny and he crossed it.

Evelyn threw down arms a little too quickly for me there at the end. “Hey mom, could you go make peace?” “Anything for you son.” Bam! Done. Really? After living years as a Factionless and planning the rebellion, a hate and vengeance growing deep inside her for her husband, she’s just going to roll over that quickly? I don’t think so. Yes, it goes along with the plot, I understand, but, sigh, for me it didn’t work.

Now let’s discuss the “shocker.” I get it. I do. Shit happens. The world isn’t perfect. Selflessness. Courage. Sacrifice for those you love. Yeah. It didn’t have to be Tris. That really could have been Caleb’s great moment of redemption. Or she could have done all that and survived it. She died of GUNSHOT WOUNDS for God’s sake. Not even from the death serum. Killing main characters is like sacrilege or something, well, unless that’s what your book is all about and your readers know. UGH! Veronica, I feel betrayed!!!

Here’s what it comes down to for me: I loved books 1 & 2 in this series. Not a Hunger Games love, but a close second.

Pluses:

Veronica’s writing is beautiful and flowy (yes it is a word I just made it up) when she needs it to be. Clear and concise when she doesn’t.

Her characters are well drawn, interesting, and unique. It is easy for me to picture them in my head and I’m in love with Four. Well the Four from books 1 & 2, not so much this book.

It is the 3rd book in a series in which the first 2 books won me over.

Minuses:

As part of the series, I was disappointed in the plot. If this would have been a standalone and not related to the series, I think I would have enjoyed it much more.

The shift of POV from the first 2 books was problematic for me at first, until I got used to it. It took me a bit though.

The ending. ROAR! The peacemaking too easy. Tris’ death. No likey.

I vacillated between a 3 & 4, but ultimately, I think I can only give this a 3.


View all my reviews

Hey it's Friday, I get to do the Scribbles!


Pandora queue song: Brick by Brick by the Arctic Monkeys on the Arctic Monkey channel

Netflix/movie of the Week: Have I watched anything this week? I think not. Hmmm. Still working my way through Sons of Anarchy. Last movie I watched was The Heat and last show on real TV I watched was Walking Dead. Shows you how much I watch TV/movies

Book of the Week: Now that I'm done with Allegiant, I've started Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith. I was lucky enough to get an ARC from Amazon.

Quote of the Week: I don't know how many times I've said this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews