Friday, April 11, 2014

I'm old(er)

Today I turn 45. Every year I make myself promises to myself about how I'm going to be when my next birthday rolls around. While most of those promises are abandoned throughout the year, and I may be thicker around the waist (and let's face wider in other places and sagging in places I wasn't before) and have more wrinkles and gray hairs, in other ways I've improved.
  • I'm stronger, physically, mentally and emotionally.
  • I'm more resilient - I bounce back much more easily than I used to.
  • I've learned that it's okay to say "no."
  • I do not let people take advantage of me. 
  • I take "me" time.
  • I ask for help.
  • When I'm in a rut, I switch gears
  • When I feel overwhelmed, I slow down instead of break down.
In the last five years I have become a different person, I think for the better.  For a time, I was a shell of a former me, and I finally broke out of that shell and became a new and improved me, more like my younger self, the self I lost along the way somewhere. 

If I were to give someone words of wisdom from an aging woman it would be this: 
  • Never compromise who you are for anyone. 
  • Never put aside your dreams for the dreams of others, though if you need to, work on them side by side, hand in hand. 
  • Never let yourself be manipulated into something you don't want to do, you could find yourself there for a very long time with no way out. 
  • Always surround yourself with people who will be a positive force in your life, who will support you when you need them - those people you know would move the earth for you. 
  • In turn, be that person for them.
  • Be good to your children and your parents, always (unless there is a VERY good reason not to, I think you know what I mean).
Happy Friday everyone. Hug your mother and have a drink for me today. Saluté!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Dad. He's awesome.

John Messina, Personal Injury Attorney

Total Pageviews